It’s time to replace that scrappy old roof. Are you wondering how much it will cost to install a new roof on your home or garage? Well, this depends on several factors. It’s important to note that not all roofs are made the same and not all roofers charge the same prices.
How much does a new roof cost?
There are a lot of factors that go into what a new roof can cost. From the type of shingles that you choose to the size and pitch of your roof, it can sometimes be difficult to estimate just how much you should be budgeting for this expense. The most accurate way to find out how much a new roof costs is by hiring an Omaha professional to give you a FREE Estimate.
Below is a quick reference to help you compare average prices for the most common roofing systems based on a 17-squares residential roof:
- Basic 3-Tab (25-year) shingles: $6,000 to $7,500
- 30-year architectural shingles: $7,000 to $9,500
- 50-year premium shingles: $8,500 to $12,750
- G-90 steel shingles or stone-coated steel tiles: $11,900 to $17,000
- Aluminum shingles: $12,750 to $18,700
- Cedar shingles or shakes: $13,000 to $20,400
- Standing seam: $14,450 to $20,400
- Concrete tiles: $13,600 to $23,800 (roof-frame requires reinforcement)
- Natural slate tiles: $15,300 to $30,600 (roof-frame requires reinforcement)
- Synthetic shakes and slate tiles: $13,000 to $20,400
- Clay tiles: $17,000 to $30,600 (roof-frame requires reinforcement)
How Contractors Determine the Price of a Roof Replacement
After inspecting the roof and speaking with homeowner, a contractor will draw up an estimate for the project. Estimating takes several important factors into consideration including materials, complexity of the job and the amount of time needed to complete the job.
Roof Cost Breakdown
- Size – Roofs with more slant have a larger surface area than roofs with less slant.
- Slope – Steeper sloped roofs are more dangerous and more difficult to work on than flat roofs.
- Complexity – A roof with more level changes, hips and valleys, and add-ons, such as dormers, will be more expensive than a simple roof.
- Existing Layers – It’s sometimes possible to install over existing shingles, but this lowers the lifespan and can cancel the warranty. It’s better to do a complete replacement. The more layers that must be removed will increase the price.
- Debris and Waste Removal
- Materials – The type of new material that will be installed, such as asphalt shingles, steel shingles, slate shingles, etc.
- Building Materials – This covers all other materials needed to replace a roof including boards and plywood for the roof deck, nails, drop cloths, tarps, staples, calk, etc.
- Roof Underlayment and Accessories – Underlayment and accessories are part of a system that makes the roof complete and watertight.
- Underlayment can be a simple 30lb felt or tar paper. There are also more advanced roof deck protection options such as breathable synthetic underlayment and/or Ice-and-water shield that protects sensitive and leak-prone areas of the roof such eaves and valleys. Accessories include vent pipe boots, snow-guards, and flashing materials.
- Ventilation – Ventilation is very important for expanding the lifespan of a roof, increasing its energy efficiency and meeting building code requirements in some areas.
- Did you know? Ventilation is one of the main areas where corners are often being cut by less reputable contractors.
- * Make sure anyone you hire obtains all the required building permits and your roof meets all required building codes.
- Labor Costs – Installation/labor costs will vary depending on the size and complexity of the job, the workers’ experience and how long the project will take.
- Overhead Costs – This covers the basic costs of doing business (insurance, advertising, taxes, permits, office space, equipment, trucks, office supplies, office staff, etc.).
America’s Best Choice Omaha, NE | Best Omaha Residential Roofing Replacement Company
We pride ourselves on hiring only the most knowledgeable and experienced installers in the industry. We know how important this investment is to a homeowner and we want to educate you on every aspect you should consider before making your final decision.
America’s Best Choice Omaha also offers you a competitive price that you will afford without draining your funds. We also work with all insurance companies to ensure that we keep your costs to a minimum. Proudly, we are also an Accredited Business with the BBB!
We offer a FREE, No Obligation Estimates. Call us or fill out our form today if you have any questions on whether you need a minor repair or to replace your old roof with a new roof. We will be more than happy to offer our best recommendation that will offer more quality for your dollar.